Please read the disclaimer at the bottom of this page

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Weekend Trader Alternative Distributions

As we saw last week, the normal (Gausssian) distribution doesn't fit the returns per trade of Weekend Trader really well. Therefore I fitted 3 alternative distributions that have been suggested for modeling of financial data:
- Cauchy
- Stable
- Generalized Hyperbolic

I will discuss some of their properties in subsequent posts. Let's first see what they look like:



The y-axis now shows the density (rather than the frequency, shown in the previous post). Not surprisingly, the 3 alternative distributions seem to follow the histogram much closer than the normal (red line) distribution. I obtained the parameters of all distributions through maximum-likelihood estimation (mle), an often used optimization method in statistics.

Why is all this useful, you might ask? Hang on, we'll discuss soon...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

During my last holiday I read an entertaining book which deals (in a way) with these distributions and especially the "fat tail" phenomenons:

"Black Swan" by N.N. Taleb

enlightening!

Science Trader said...

It's an interesting read! Did you read "The (Mis)Behavior of Markets" by Mandelbrot as well?

Unknown said...

Yes, but it is too descriptive, geometric for me. I miss "the meat".